Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Absolute beginner again

Question: I think my banjo weighs about 92 pounds. Anyone have any horror stories about hanging them on the wall? My hangers are into studs.

P.S. I hadn’t been hanging it because of the weight, but I did use a floor stand. I had it fall in a way that didn’t hurt it, but it reminded me why I don’t like floor stands.

6 Likes

I hang mine on a hanger with a stud. Haven’t had any issues.

5 Likes

I keep my best banjos in their cases, my old Fender I keep on a floor stand

4 Likes

The only appreciable damage any instrument I’ve ever owned has ever experienced was when my wife knocked over my Gold Star banjo sitting in a floor stand. Broke everything on the headstock except the face veneer.

I keep my Twanger on a wall hanger with 3.5" wood screws into a stud. Never had a problem.

6 Likes

Thanks y’all!

1 Like

Looking forward to your update!

Thanks for thinking of me! I am about a month into banjo playing. I have played just about every day, except for a stretch where we had the nieces visiting for a week.

Things are progressing and I am still enjoying it and well motivated. I went through the four roll studies. I spent quite a bit of time on the forward roll, maybe half that on the backward, then I did the forward backward for a bit before looking at my first song (Cripple Creek). I just took a peek or two at the square roll and also learned “you are my sunshine.” I have been working on (and really enjoying playing) the two songs “Cripple Creek” and “Sunshine.” I recently started working on “Amazing Grace.” I do feel a bit guilty in that I know I should practice the rolls by themselves more than I have, but I’ll try to get back to that at some point.

I did hit a bit of a milestone yesterday. I was able to get through playing with the fastest backing track on Cripple Creek. I’m not great at that speed, but it was there. Speed gains are kind of interesting on banjo. It seems like a given speed is impossible one day and then within a couple days of practice, that same speed is casual. I know that at some point, gains get real tough to come by, but I am enjoying being able to still see improvements daily.

Perhaps my favorite part of playing banjo is that it has gotten me playing music more with my wife. She has enjoyed working on her rhythm playing, so that has been fun.

I need to get some feedback on what I am doing, so I want to get some video up soon.

Thanks again for checking in!

6 Likes

Sounds as though your making steady progress @Mike_R The thing with learning banjo is you go through peaks and troughs and as you progress the learning curve grows steeper. Every day becomes a new challenge but on the brighter side as you look back at what you have accomplished and your able to measure your personal progress that’s when you see the rewards of your hard work. On a daily / weekly basis you might see yourself drift backwards or stand still but keep at it, check back again in a month or two and it will surprise you just how much progress you’ve made. Record your progress on video where possible that will give you a diary of your achievements.

5 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement Archie!

5 Likes

About time we hear that new Twanger Mr. Mike (and see it in action)!

A quick video perhaps?

And yes, you are too ready! I’ve heard you play guitar and mandolin!

But no pressure!

4 Likes

That was before I had these Freddy Krueger attachments to my fingers :slight_smile:
I’ll try to get something up soon. I have some technological challenges there, but they can be overcome.

1 Like

Hmmmn, Not sure what would be worse… Freddie’s attachments or Edward Scissorshands! If Freddie and Eddie were in a band together, they’d sure be hard on strings!

Take your time Mike. I’m glad you’re giving a new instrument a shot. I started working on Dobro awhile back but lately have been playing a lot of electric.

1 Like

In this video, I wanted to show the awesome “Guitar accompaniment” bundle I got with the twanger from the general store. It’s my favorite accessory of all time!

17 Likes

@Mike_R
Nice job both of you :+1::slightly_smiling_face:!
Also liked the pup cameo :dog:

3 Likes

jpg Sounds great to me @Mike_R good you have someone to play with and a well train dog to boot. What more can a banjo player need.

3 Likes

Dude you’re doing so good, makes me very happy.

5 Likes

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement and Ben, thanks for all the great instruction! To be able to enjoy playing something on the porch with my better half at this point is much quicker than I had hoped to be “making music.” I still have a very long way to go until faster things get to “banjo speed”, but the journey has been super enjoyable so far. I still need to get a video of my right hand posted to get feedback before I get the bad habits ingrained.

5 Likes

My wife has picked up the banjo maybe half a dozen times. Her pinkie kept coming off after a while playing. I placed one of these little guys on there and she is doing much better with that:

4 Likes

I have the Hercules stand too. It’s an awesome stand!

3 Likes

That was awesome and super clean! I started banjo in my mid 30’s after having played guitar since a teenager. It was tough to get started but the cool thing is you see progress so fast at the beginning because you already have some of the skills. I will admit I get frustrated trying to find the time to practice both instruments, but this week I went and ordered a fiddle so go figure​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::thinking::man_facepalming:.

3 Likes