Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

A style or F style

I have both an A style and F style mandolin,and I prefer the F style. There are a couple of reasons why:

1. The scroll allows for a more comfortable placement of the strap. I’ve never been a fan of using string to tie a strap behind the nut of an instrument. The same reason why I won’t buy a guitar if it doesn’t have a place behind the neck to secure the strap.

2. The F-style body is much more attractive.

Honestly, the sound and tone isn’t any different between an A-style and F-style (at least that I’ve ever heard)…but for comfort and aesthetic appeal, definitely the F-style is the way to go.

Thank you Dave for the information. I thought all my questions about purchasing first time mandolin were answered only to look up and see oval hole? is oval hole something different? different sound?

any advice is always appreciated.

I have an A with F holes and an A with an oval hole. The F hole one has a carved top and back. It is basically built like an F style without the extra wood. The oval is a “flat” top and “flat” back. They sound totally different. The flat top/oval has more sustain and ring. The carved/f hole one has more cut, and depth (a deeper and punchier voice… the barky, bluegrass tone). I am not sure if oval makes much of the difference, but most ovals I have played have that more sustained sound.

thanks Mike