Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

2022 March Texas Cabin Camp

I have a Deering Good Time 2 banjo in a TKL case, already has 5th string pins installed, strap and picks included. All in excellent condition. This was given to me but I don’t play banjo. It gets in the way of guitar space, so I want it gone. Any reasonable offer will be accepted. If it hasn’t moved I will bring it to the camp and see if anyone there is interested.

1 Like

HOT FLASH (for pickers, not menopausal gals) I just received by FedEx today a fiberglass case made by a company called Crossrock. It is made for dreadnaught-sized guitars (model CRF 2020D), is very robust and sturdy, fits all of my dread’s “like a glove”, and looks very much like a Calton. I believe that it will provide better protection than the high-end TKLs that I have been using. Crossrock’s website lists this case for just under $600, offers a sale price currently of $389 (Crossrockcase.com), but I scored mine from Calido Guitars online for under $295 including TX sales tax and shipping. All it took was a phone call and request for their best price, and it arrived at my door in about 4 days. They also make banjo and mandolin cases. I got this one for travel and will use it for whichever guitar I chose to take “on the road” while storing the instruments in their TKLs at home. These are worth a look for anyone who wants better protection but not the price tag of a Calton or Hoffee.

1 Like

Thanks @epjacobs! I’ll definitely check that out. Ahhh the joy of high class problems… to bring the D28 or not to bring the D28.

I’ve been using Crossrock cases for my banjos for 5 years now. I’ve never had an issue with one. My current one is the fiberglass model and it’s held up great for over a year with an especially heavy banjo in it.

Eric, buy one of these guitar “vaults” and travel with your good stuff.

Fresh new guitar from the General Store… Check!
Reservation at Kilgore Hotel… Check!
Working on Salt Creek melody at 200 bpm… trying!

7 Likes

So, I guess the D-28 gets left at home. See you in Kilgore soon. Which hotel did you reserve?

2 Likes

Hampton Inn Kilgore

It’ll be a fun little jaunt – leaving home early in the AM to fly to Dallas then rent a car to drive to come hang with you all. Super excited about it!

1 Like

I’ll be there.

1 Like

My Mooney won’t be there. I just sold her. But I’m looking forward to attending.

1 Like

Is anybody bringing a pre-war flathead to the Kilgore Camp next week?

1 Like

I cannot believe I found someone from Sitka here. I grew up in Sitka! I lived there from 64-75 when I left to join the Navy!

Mr. G,
This is a very late response. I haven’t had you on ignore. I just haven’t been on the forum since the cabin camp. I’ve been in Sitka since 2012. I moved down here to the tropics from Valdez.
Please let me know if you have future plans to visit. It would be nice to meet you. Things have likely changed a bit since you lived here. We now have about 13 miles of continuous paved road now that runs from Starrgavin to the Blue Lake hydro power plant.
We’re not exactly covered up with banjo players but playing for the photos of my relatives always assures me of rave reviews.
Play fast and take lots of chances!!
J

1 Like

What a treat! Here I am, one of the Kilgore Matadors, reminiscing about Cabin Camp, and up posts a new post from one of the campers. This made me go back and read all of the posts. It was fun. Regards to all, but especially to those who shared “Grave in the Valley”.

2 Likes

@epjacobs Greetings from a fellow Matador

yes

No worries, my friend! I doubt if I will be back to Sitka. My roots are now firmly and deeply planted in Georgia red clay. I have ended up living in the very area that my family originally lived in before they started their migration westward in the 1700s and 1800s. My kids are here and my grandchildren are here. I’m glad you like living in Sitka. It is a lovely place to be.

need someone to show me how to do these forums. Just found them. LOL

1 Like