Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

2021 Cabin Camp Song List!

Hey all – I’m excited to join this spring! New to the lessons and forums, so sorry if this is a dumb question. For some of the beginner songs like Cripple Creek and You Are My Sunshine, the “beginner” and “slides” versions are slightly different. I’m assuming we should focus on the more advanced slides versions for the camp?

2 Likes

Hey Clay. Great question! I went to camp for the first time last year. I remember the advise of not worrying about playing solos but knowing chord progressions of the songs. Being one who played note for note from tablature I really didn’t fully appreciate what that really meant until I got to camp. I’d say enjoy learning the tablature that you can play solidly but also consider practicing “hearing” the chord progressions to be able to play “backup” for each song (whether strumming on guitar, vamping on banjo, etc.) as that will be of benefit as well. Hope this helps! It is truly a great (and no pressure)camp experience.

6 Likes

Hi Clay! Welcome to the board!

Stuart pretty much summed it up. If you can’t learn anything else, learn the chord progression to each song in the list. That way you’ll be able to sit in on the nightly jam sessions. Once you’re comfortable with the chords, work on a few lead parts. It’s no secret any more, so it’s OK to mention here… you’ll be put in a band with other folks and will be playing in front of an audience, so the more leads you know, the more likely you’ll be to have a lead you can play.

3 Likes

Thanks all! That sounds great :blush: I’m starting to work through the list and the added motivation of having to play in front of people will keep me practicing over the holidays!

2 Likes

Y’ALL. I saw this and realized we’re just barely under 100 days away from the camp! So I’m going to print this out and do my best to suck less by the time I get there :slight_smile: Thought some of you might enjoy!

2 Likes

So now that it is 2021, who all is trying to learn these songs for camp?

Trying to learn what I can before the March 6 one day camp in St. Pete. Right now working on Amazing Grace, Wayfaring Stranger, and Red River Valley on guitar.

1 Like

Just noticed the list I was emailed is different that the list above. :roll_eyes:

Paul, have you looked at the lessons “Intro to back up banjo”? I hadn’t reviewed them before I went to camp and didn’t know how to make the shapes–they take time to learn. It’s basically chord shapes used for back up that are played in different positions down the neck. I suggest that you be able to play those shapes before camp. I found that Katy didn’t focus as much on the song list in class, but on this. (take a camera to video her lessons, it really helps later) Being able to play the songs was more for jam sessions and the “battle of the bands”. I have no idea what the format will be for a one day camp vs the three days but I wish I had practiced these chord shapes before I went to camp. If you already know them, please disregard my post. And, BTW, I’m jealous of you getting to be at the next camp and in Florida. It’s snowing where I live. Brrrrhhhhh.

Hey Becky- thanks for the note. I’m playing guitar. I did hear learning rhythm was helpful for the camp. I live in middle Georgia and we hardly ever see a snowflake. But we do get 100 degree weeks in summer. Ugh

2 Likes

Sorry, I couldn’t find your original post and thought you were banjo. Missouri tops you–we get snow and we get 100 degrees and if that’s enough, we have pea-soup humidity. Ugh is right.
Have fun at the camp and let us know what you learned.

2 Likes

Wonderful ! I was hoping to get the 2021 song list and am a happy to get started on these great songs and build a break skills for the New Year. I am looking forward to Montana and it looks like I have plenty to keep me busy till then.

3 Likes

Really looking forward to the April Cabin Camp, last fall was a blast. Hope Penny can tell that I have been practicing and working on my Mando skills!
Bluegrass, awesome food and fellowship, doesn’t get any better than that my friends!

7 Likes

@Jeff_Perryman glad you got a slot! I’m going to be at the “all banjo” camp - bummer we’ll miss each other by a week or so.

2 Likes

Well, you have a good camp with all the banjo pickers! I’m sure we will cross paths again. Stay well and travel safe.

3 Likes

I am just seeing this for the first time… so it’s about to include ME!

5 Likes

Howdy Ben

New gold pick member as of this week. What instruments will the camp in Missouri focus on. Thinking about making a road trip up there. Love that part of the country. Actually just got back from Eureka Springs last week.

You ever thought about doing a camp in Texas? Maybe near Your alma mater? I’m TAMU class of ‘04. Wouldn’t even mind driving to Austin as I bet you would find a bunch of pickers there.

Thanks
Cam

6 Likes

Welcome, first of all, and thanks for your support of the site! Missouri camp at the store will be banjo/guitar/mandolin and will be aimed at beginner-level students this time. I’d love to have you!

Yep, the plan is to have a camp this fall somewhere in east Texas near where I grew up. The only reason I’d go to Austin is to go south of Austin and eat that BBQ…which I’m doing next week. Gig 'em!!

4 Likes

Is this the song list for the banjo only beginner camp at the end of September?

That would actually be this one:

1 Like