Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: What are you listening to?

And then Libby would say “AHHHHHHEEEEEEE!!” and you wouldn’t be able to hear anymore.

1 Like

@Mason_Crone when you go see a live bluegrass show you’ll understand the excitement. And when you play on stage to an enthusiastic, screaming crowd you’ll see why that makes performing so much more fun. Every band loves an engaged crowd. :grinning:

5 Likes

I’ve seen quite a bit of live bluegrass at Dollywood this year, we’ve gone about once a month all year haha.

2 Likes

Nice! :+1: So you know why you cheer

1 Like

Hmmm… I clapped at the end of each song :man_shrugging::joy:

1 Like

Literally, like not just the show. You actually wouldn’t be able to hear anymore :joy:

1 Like

You’ve never experienced this.

How was AU?

And P.S. for 99% of the bands I hear I just cheer quietly or yell for a really good lick or solo that stands out. I don’t scream through shows as a rule, but neither do I just sit and clap at the end. That’s a dead crowd if you ask me.

5 Likes

Awesome, and way better live than on video! I would definitely see them again

5 Likes

"five people in a band that think like a drummer… "

1 Like

Imagination time with Michael. Make a band lineup with musicians from a variety of groups that you think would be cool to see together (can’t be an existing or past band lineup).

I’ll go first…

Adam Miller- mandolin and lead vocals (because he’s like my favorite bluegrass lead singer right now and a killer mandolin player to boot)

Kenny Smith– guitar, vocals (my fave bluegrass guitarist alive, and having him makes two who have been in LRB)

Ron Block– banjo, guitar, vocals (because he’s Ron Block)

Andy Leftwich– fiddle, occasional mandolin (because his fiddling is pure energy and taste)

Darrin Vincent– Bass and vocals (making five vocalists in the band, because why not)

Justin Moses– reso guitar and vocals (because he can do that and also literally anything else in bluegrass)

So there you have two from LRB, three from Kentucky Thunder, and Ron Block. What else do you need in bluegrass??

5 Likes

Alternatively, you could build a weird lineup with past and present bluegrass musicians…

Bill Monroe– Mandolin and tenor vocals
Billy Strings– Guitar and lead vocals
Paul Kowert– Bass
Don Reno– Banjo

:joy::joy::joy:

Actually, maybe it’d be better to have Chris Thile on mando and Mother Maybelle Carter on guitar

4 Likes

Well I wouldn’t want a 9-member band but I’d definitely want to hear these 3 vocalists, who all play rhythm guitar. (Rick Faris plays some great guitar leads though.) So this would be quite the mash… I guess it’d be good in the studio:

Zak McLamb - bass
Josh Swift - dobro
Jake Workman - guitar
Stephen Burrell - fiddle
Harry Clark - mandolin
Russ Carson - banjo

Vocal trio: Ben James, Sally Lea, Rick Faris (maybe throw in Christian Davis on some bass)

4 Likes

I feel like I could come up with multiple “bands” but something like this would be fun:

Russell Moore - Lead vocals
Trey Hensley - lead guitar (since Libby already said Jake)
Jamie Harper - Fiddle
Scott Vestal - Banjo
Kevin McKinnon - Mandolin
Jeff Picker - Bass

Seems funny to imagine all these people in the same band since I’m used to seeing them with their own bands but It would be neat!

4 Likes

Quite a bit of variety but I think it would be great…

Dan Tyminski - Guitar and vocals
Sierra Hull - Mandolin
Katy Clark - Banjo
Rob Ickes - Dobro
Rebekah Workman - Fiddle
Mark Shatz - Bass

4 Likes

I would really like to hear a bluegrass band with 6 of @Timothy_L but that couldn’t happen :frowning:

4 Likes

He could always make a multi track recording haha.

2 Likes

Jonathan Dillon - mandolin
Josh Swift - dobro
Jake Workman - guitar
Scott Vestal - banjo
Jason Carter - fiddle
Jeff Picker - bass

Only problem… not sure if any of those people regularly sing lead :thinking:
Vocals would be Russell Moore, Edgar Loudermilk, Sally Lea

4 Likes

Most of those names start with J :joy: not purposely.

1 Like

@Lucy_L you’d sing

1 Like

That’s why to be realistic, if you only want 6 in the band, I’d probably say either Trey Hensley or Rick Faris on guitar because they sing. Or Michael Mark.

1 Like