Demonstrating Christian Values

Demonstrating Christian Values
John Bixler
‘Through all of the recent political campaigning, I am taken back by a common phrase of “Defending Christian Values.” I somewhat understand the sentiment. But I would rather the emphasis was on “Demonstrating Christian Values.” If you defend Christian values and do not demonstrate them, that would be hypocrisy. Plus I don’t know if God needs anyone to defend Him. But He does call us to demonstrate His Love.’

This is a quote from an old band mate I used to play with. He’s done a lot of work for the Lord. You can find him on FB. The question is Does God need to be defended if we are demonstrating his love?

Something we all need to hear.

Does God need to be defended if we are demonstrating his love?

Yes, I think so. Day to day demonstrations of Christian values is the first step. But there are often times when persuasion must be used to help people find the right path. That persuasion may very well take the form of defending Christian Values.

One example, in this context, would be the argument that that civil society and the responsibilities of maintaining a constitutional Republic may include defending Christian values. Without Christian values, the founders argued, you cannot have civil society.

Here’s how John Jay put it:

Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers. National prosperity can neither be obtained nor preserved without the favor of Providence.

And here’s how George Washington put it:

I now make it my earnest prayer, that God would have you and the State over which you preside, in his holy protection, that he would incline the hearts of the Citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to Government–to entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another, for their fellow Citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for their Brethren who have served in the Field, and finally, that he would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all, to do Justice, to love Mercy, and to demean ourselves with that Charity, Humility, and Pacific temper of mind which were the Characteristicks [sic] of the Divine Author of our blessed Religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a Happy Nation.

In these two examples, we see how important it is to defend, not just demonstrate.

I would argue that the same is true today. To defend against encroaching tyranny, just as the founders did, we must employ every defense, including the defense of Christian values and their importance to free, civil society.

Thanks https://banjobenclark.com/forum/u/Bredfan for your excelent points on defending Christian values.

If you defend Christian values and do not demonstrate them, that would be hypocrisy.
I think more people need to hear this

I guess its open to interpretation but I can’t recall that someone in the NT defended the faith as much as they made their points that led to the gospel message. Paul many times sounded like he was making a defense when really he was just building a case for the Messiah’s existence and salvation.

An additional thought that I have pointed out before is often defending the faith becomes a distraction from sharing the good news of Jesus Christ. The defending aspects of it gets political and though good in one sense it takes people away from the real purpose. Jesus didn’t come shouting about fair treatment and Roman oppression. He came saying I’ve come that you might have life in me.

We need to remember our true mission.