Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo Ben's Inaugural Camp & BBQ Bash Introduction!

Okay, this thing is gonna happen. And I really need/want your feedback. Rough date range is early spring 2019, think mid-April. Here are more details:

• Where? Ben’s house/cabin in Mount Juliet, TN
  • How long? 2 1/2 days. It would begin with a lunch on Thursday and wrap with a whole hog BBQ roast and jam session Saturday night.
  • Meals provided? Lunch and supper would be provided Thursday-Saturday
  • Times? Thursday 12-6, Friday 9-6, Saturday 9-?
  • Lodging? Many hotels are available in Mount Juliet, 5 miles from Ben’s house.
  • Airport? Nashville International (BNA) is 9 miles from Ben’s house.
  • Capacity? I will most likely limit the camp to 30 students, 10 students each for banjo/guitar/mandolin
  • Skill level? Late beginner through intermediate and early advanced. You would need to be able to play all the beginner solos I send you in the curriculum mentioned below.
  • Curriculum? I will select 10 tunes before the camp and arrange beginner/intermediate/advanced solos for each instrument. These solos will be sent to camp attendees to work on for a few months beforehand. Everyone will be prepared to participate!
  • Teachers? Ben, his twin sisters, and potentially @Jake Stogdill. Maybe more?
  • Skills taught? Improvisation, speed-building, building solos/arrangements, playing in a band/jam, ear training, instrument set-up, etc.
  • Cost? To be determined
  • Deadline to sign up? Later in the fall of 2018. More info to be released through the summer.

We’ll also have some special Nashville events planned, such as a trip to a luthier/builder shop and perhaps some live music.

Have questions or suggestions? Post them below and I’ll answer back! I’m excited about this! I’ll probably duplicate this camp in the fall of 2019 in the Boise, ID, area.

20 Likes

if you do Boise Idaho, Ann and I would love to come! Closer to our home here in Montana! Sounds incredible and also a lot of fun! Mark and Ann Mason

3 Likes

I am SO there!

Can we bring guests? Do you know if you have any full hook up camp grounds near you?

Sounds like a fun time. Would spouses be welcome, or would my wife need to find places to visit in Nashville?

Percy Priest Lake is an Army Corps of Engineers lake and its Seven Points Campground is about a mile from my house. It has campsites and hookups. However, if we’re talking March/April, I believe the RV hookups may be closed. I will call and find out. But, keep in mind that any campsite on Percy Priest will be within decent driving distance to my house so you’re welcome to check out the others as well: http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Locations/Lakes/J-Percy-Priest-Lake/Campgrounds/Seven-Points/

Further, my house is on the west edge of Mount Juliet, so any campground you find near Mount Juliet or east Nashville can possibly work. If you’re interested in distances, email me for my address.

Yes, guests are very welcome! There will have to be a food charge for them if they plan on eating with us (still figuring prices). My house is 15-20 minutes from downtown Nashville so there is lots to do if they get bored with the “classes” and jams.

There are a couple of really nice camp grounds on Briley Parkway very near the Gaylord Opryland hotel. You may want to check them out.

2 Likes

Put me on the list please. 1 Banjo IF your only taking limited numbers i dont want to miss out.

1 Like

BEN, If you need a deposit i will drop it in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks! I’m still a couple months away from the signup process. The best thing to do will be to check back here throughout the summer to see the updates. I’m getting quite the response and I do imagine it will sell out, but I’m going to offer it to folks on the forum before I send out any big email or social media blasts.

2 Likes

OK, I Just don"t want to miss out. Thanks Ben

1 Like

Thanks John! I’ll check it out.

Hi Ben,
I’m interested as well. We always need more camps and workshops here in the South! I’ll be watching for more news.

Jenny

1 Like

Hey, Ben, I am SO in. Would love nothing more than meeting, mingling, and learning with other BanjoBen members. I even have other friends in Mount Juliet!

I have a question/suggestion or two, will pass them along in later posts.

Thanks!
Michael Compton

1 Like

I definitely be there! Sounds great. Be cool to set up some open mic time… I bet lots of us don’t get too many chances to play in front of people (except our kids!)…

2 Likes

Bookmarked and watching :smile:

1 Like

Would love this opportunity, but I’m not sure I’d qualify to be a ‘late beginner’! Just the chance to hang out and learn would be awesome. Looking forward to more details - even a rough, rough estimate of pricing so we can start saving our pennies! Thanks for this fantastic offer!

1 Like

Rough, rough estimate is $5-700 which includes 6 home-cooked meals, a load of swag/goodies, and instrument setup.

4 Likes

$5 would be awesome.
:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hey, I could even afford 5 bucks. That Ben is one generous guy!

2 Likes

This would be great! I look froward to hearing the details develop. Would be great to meet people who are part of this learning environment and continue to try and get better on the mandolin.

1 Like